Friday, August 20, 2010

Emails from 8/19/2010

Last night he came all the way up to my front steps and got my beautiful evergreen dogwood....left me nothing!!! All you kind-hearted beaver sparing wannabes would have the same fit as me if he was systematically destroying your landscape tree by tree by bush. Not only is the dogwood gone but everything planted under and around it was dependent on the shade it provided and now it will all fry. No, I have no doubt, the beaver must go. The army has been called. Will let you all know the prognosis.
Leslie

Leslie, I feel your frustration. We have had to put up fencing and wrapped our dogwood with fencing. There were beaver track going from the creek all the way to our front yard as they made their nightly raids. What's more concerning than the beavers robbing us of our trees is they are building dams. For those of us in the flood zone, this is a concern. I've been reading about beavers causing flooding. It can happen. Let us know if and how we can help.
-Jessica

I am not the Leslie that sent the beaver emails, but I can confirm that last year they were in my backyard in the small feeder creek between Plantation and Ellwyn, behind the tennis courts. They dammed up what little water we had and were well on their way towards creating a lake and flooding everything. We broke up their dam about 4 times and they moved elsewhere. I suggest if you live anywhere near water (or even a dry creek bed), you wire wrap any trees and bushes you would like to keep.

Here's the latest.....I called Public Works to talk to the director, Tillman Hannon, about how to proceed in tackling this RODENT problem. Tillman's out on a much-needed vacation for a few days and, not wanting to let the problem get any worse, talked to Jill about it. She told me that this is way out of JR's scope of expertise and that they had a # for Animal Control Experts who are licensed and certified etc. etc. I called them 1st and set up an appt. for 3:00 then went to City Hall and talked to the City Manager, Jim Gleason, about the on-going issue and responsibility. It is a problem that involves public property in that the creature from the murky lagoon (we call Bubbling Creek) has damaged many of the memorial Japanese Magnolias planted to line the sidewalks of HH Park. He could be/ they also are probably hollowing out dens under the banks of the stream thereby causing or at least adding to the problems that exist with the streambanks being about to cave in. So the Beaver Pod is a nuisance both to the public and to public property as well as private. After my inspection and conversation with said Animal Control Experts, I sent them over to talk to Mr. Gleason. It is now out of my hands and the City will take it from here. I will fence my trees though. Our beaver is rapacious and will not be stopped by mere threats. He will be back for more until he is removed. The ACE people think there are probably multiples. It will be an uneasy sleep for me for the next few nights until there is evidence that they've been caught. I'll let you know.
Leslie

i'm sorry this now hitting ridiculous. -Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment